Sponsored by Saint Mary Interparochial School and Global Philadelphia
St. Mary Interparochial School is proud to partner with Global Philadelphia Association once again to bring this request for a commissioned work of art to our community!
Saint Mary Interparochial School and the Global Philadelphia Association are seeking proposals for a work of art to be installed for public viewing outdoors on the 5th Street side of Saint Mary’s building. This work of art will be part of a series of art based on the U.N.’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’s). As part of its commitment to developing and sustaining partnerships locally and globally, Saint Mary has chosen to sponsor art for SDG 17: Partnerships for the Goals. Together with other nonprofits, including Mural Arts Philadelphia, the Global Philadelphia Association is sponsoring art representing all 17 SDG’s.
The selected artwork for the Saint Mary-sponsored goal—Partnerships for the Goals—will be displayed on the building for approximately two years. At the end of this initial period of display, artwork for all 17 SDG’s will be showcased at an exhibition sponsored by Global Philadelphia.
Am I Eligible to Apply?
To apply, artists must be a Saint Mary Interparochial School alumni — either in the capacity of student, parent, or faculty.
Requirements and Concept Submission Information
Must evoke SDG 17: Partnerships for the Goals
- Highlight the concept of how local, national, and global partnerships are essential to achieving SDG 17
As reference, Saint Mary’s partnerships have included:
- Global Philadelphia (culture, heritage, history)
- Thomas Jefferson University (science, medicine, engineering)
- Drexel University (science)
- University of Pennsylvania (science)
- SEPTA (safety and transportation)
- Archdiocese of Philadelphia (religion, faith, education)
- National Parks Service/Independence National Historical Park (preservation of historical buildings and natural environments)
- Greener Partners (nutritional education, environmental sustainability)
- Philadelphia Electric and Technology Charter High School (STEAM programming)
- Connelly Foundation (education)
- Roots2Rise (mindfulness, movement)
- Arden Theatre (arts and culture)
- Dancing Classrooms (arts and culture)
- Old St. Joseph’s Church (faith, religion)
- Old St. Mary’s Church (faith, religion)
- Centro Universitario Salesiano, Don Bosco (CES DB) (Spanish language; international educational partner)
Ultimate artwork should be two-dimensional and created with weather-resistant materials (canvas will be parachute material stretched on an aluminum frame, which will be supplied) and will be 10’ X 10’. The art will first be exhibited on an outdoor wall of the school building and then moved to an exhibit of artwork for all 17 SDG’s.
The selected artist will receive a $2500 stipend and up to $500 reimbursement for any additional required supplies upon project completion. The frame and aluminite or parachute cloth will be supplied.
Submission Deadline: July 31, 2022
Address proposals to: email@example.com. Please make all submissions by email with the subject line, “Artist Submission—SDG 17”.
The selection committee includes representatives from Saint Mary Interparochial School and Global Philadelphia. The committee will choose one artist based on:
- Artistic merit of the design and originality
- Clear expression of the SDG Goal: Partnerships for the Goals
- Appropriateness of the design for the location
Marketing and promotion for the artwork and exhibit will be undertaken by both Saint Mary Interparochial School and the Global Philadelphia Association, resulting in international exposure of the artist and their work.
Announcement of the Selected Project: September 15, 2022
Project Completion: Spring 2023
Saint Mary Interparochial School and the Global Philadelphia Association (GPA) agree that GPA will become the owner of all of the artwork, popular text, and other intellectual property created by the selected artist in the course of the Campaign, and will be entitled to secure copyright protection for all such intellectual property and to hold that intellectual property in its name, provided that Saint Mary Interparochial School will have a perpetual, non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free right to use the artwork of any mural or murals created as a result of the Project.
All submissions may be showcased in a separate exhibit and/or online and, if so, will remain the property of Saint Mary Interparochial School through the duration of the exhibition.
Any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.